Greetings IB Diploma Students, Parents, Guardians, and Teachers,
As the new IB Coordinator at Bedford High School, I’d like to offer a regular email newsletter to keep you updated with what’s going on in the world of IB at BHS. To make it more user-friendly, I’m breaking it up into three sections:
- Useful information for all Diploma Candidates
- Useful information for Seniors
- Useful information for Juniors
Jessie Gilcreast (EE Coordinator) and Amy Woods (CAS Coordinator) will also be contributing to this newsletter regularly, so look for EE and CAS updates as well. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to send me an email. I may not know the answer right away, but I will find it. Scroll down to see what’s going on!
- Jon Cannon, IB Coordinator
This applies to all Seniors but also for some Juniors. IB Exam registration is just around the corner! Some important details are:
- I will open the registration form on September 30, 2016, and it will close on October 21, 2016 at 6pm.
- On September 30th, I will email a link to a Google Form that students will use to input what exams they will be taking.
- It is up to the students and their teachers to make sure students sign up for the right exam.
- For advanced planning purposes, bear in mind that registering for and taking exams incurs a cost.
- Exam fees are $116 per exam.
- There is also a one-time $168 registration fee.
- Diploma Candidates who took at least one exam last year do not have to pay the registration fee. I have a list of who these students are, and I will follow-up with them.
- These details will be sent out with the registration instructions as well as on the registration form as well.
I am in the process of updating and streamlining the IB at BHS website. It will take some time, and while it is “under construction,” things may be moved around. Once the website is renovated, I will let you know.
Save the Date:
All students in IB Bio II, IB Chem II, and/or IB Physics II will need to attend school on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 (Teacher Workshop Day) to complete the Group IV Project unless they completed a Group IV Project last year.
Diploma seniors are continuing to work on their Extended Essays (EE) and their Creativity, Activity, and Service (CAS) hours/projects. Mrs. Gilcreast (EE) and Ms. Woods (CAS) will be visiting Theory of Knowledge classes in the next two weeks to remind students what the requirements are, upcoming deadlines, and other helpful information.
Please remember that experiences for CAS need to be logged, and if students have not done so already, they need to arrange a time to meet with Ms. Woods in C114 regarding their proposal for their CAS Project. If students feel as though their CAS project is done, and they are not sure if the CAS Coordinator (Ms. Woods) is of the same understanding, students should arrange a time to meet in C114.
email@example.com is the CAS Coordinator Amy Woods’ email address for any additional questions or concerns.
EE Update (what you ‘nEEd’ to know):
Below are some upcoming dates:
- Sept. 22-23 — EE 3,000 words due
- Oct. 31, 2016 — EE first complete draft due
- Early December — EE FINAL complete draft due
IB Junior Orientation and Information Night is a few weeks away! This event officially kicks of the Diploma Programme experience for the Class of 2018. Details:
- Date: Thursday Sept. 22, 2016
- Time: 6:00-7:30pm
- Location: BHS Theater
The purpose of Junior Orientation Night is to inform Junior Diploma Candidates and their families to learn more about IB, the Diploma Programme at BHS, and the requirements and expectations therein. The presentation should last about 45 minutes, and then time afterwards for Q+A will be provided. The school calendar lists it as going from 6-9pm, but it likely will not last past 7:30. If you are unable to attend, the evening’s presentation will be posted on the IB at BHS website the next day. Feel free to follow-up with me if you have any questions.