Greetings IB Diploma Students, Parents, Guardians, and Teachers,
Below you will find updated information about IB at BHS. As was the case in my previous newsletter, I’m breaking up the content into three sections:
- Useful information for all Diploma Candidates
- Useful information for Seniors
- Useful information for Juniors
Jessie Gilcreast (EE Coordinator) and Amy Woods (CAS Coordinator) will also be contributing to this newsletter regularly, so look for EE and CAS updates as well. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to send me an email. Scroll down to see what’s going on!
- Jon Cannon, IB Coordinator
This applies to all Seniors but also for some Juniors. IB Exam registration is going to start next week, and I have begun meeting with Senior IB English classes to talk with students about registration. I hope to reach as many classes as possible either directly or through classroom teachers. Some important details regarding registration are:
- I will open the registration form on September 30, 2016, and it will close on October 21, 2016 at 6pm.
- On September 30th, I will email a link to a Google Form that students will use to input what exams they will be taking.
- It is up to the students and their teachers to make sure students sign up for the right exam.
- For advanced planning purposes, bear in mind that registering for and taking exams incurs a cost.
- Exam fees are $116 per exam.
- There is also a one-time $168 registration fee.
- Diploma Candidates who took at least one exam last year do not have to pay the registration fee. I have a list of who these students are, and I will follow-up with them.
- These details will be sent out with the registration instructions as well as on the registration form as well.
I am still in the process of updating and streamlining the IB at BHS website. The home page and “About IB” pages are up and running while others are still being reworked. While it is “under construction,” links may not work and things may be moved around, so please forgive the mess! Once the website is renovated, I will let you know.
Save the Dates:
All students in IB Bio II, IB Chem II, and/or IB Physics II will need to attend school on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 (Teacher Workshop Day) to complete the Group IV Project unless they completed a Group IV Project last year.
Students in IB Business Management SL who plan on taking the exam should know that IB has scheduled the exam for Friday, April 28, 2016. This date falls during April Vacation, and so families of students testing in IB Business Management should adjust their travel plans accordingly.
Diploma seniors are continuing to work on their Extended Essays (EE) and their Creativity, Activity, and Service (CAS) hours/projects. Mrs. Gilcreast (EE) and Ms. Woods (CAS) will be visiting Theory of Knowledge classes in the next two weeks to remind students what the requirements are, upcoming deadlines, and other helpful information.
CAS Corner (for Seniors):
Please remember that experiences for CAS need to be logged, and if students have not done so already, they need to arrange a time to meet with Ms. Woods in C114 regarding their proposal for their CAS Project. If students feel as though their CAS project is done, and they are not sure if the CAS Coordinator (Ms. Woods) is of the same understanding, students should arrange a time to meet in C114.
email@example.com is the CAS Coordinator Amy Woods’ email address for any additional questions or concerns.
EE Update (what you ‘nEEd’ to know):
Below are some upcoming dates:
- Sept. 22-23 — EE 3,000 words due - please share it with Mrs. Gilcreast
- Oct. 31, 2016 — EE first complete draft due
- Early December — EE FINAL complete draft due
IB Junior Orientation and Information Night was last night and we had a great turnout. Students and parents heard from the IB Core Team (Jessie Gilcreast, Amy Woods, Robby Zeller, and Jon Cannon) about the benefits of IB, how IB works at BHS, and tips for planning ahead. If you were unable to make it, you can view the presentation here. Extra copies of the handout can be picked up in the Library/IB Office. The presentation and all of the handout documents can be found on the IB at BHS website.
CAS Corner (for Juniors):Junior IB Diploma students can already begin thinking about their CAS Projects and logging CAS experiences. Details on CAS experience parameters and expectations can be found on the CAS page on the IB at BHS website. Students who want to get more information or who want to discuss a CAS Project proposal can arrange a time to meet with Ms. Woods in C114 by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.